Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day Seven

Kansas City, MO to Mansfield, MO
225 Miles

Mansfield, MO to Springfield, MO
51.5 Miles

We left later than we wanted to this morning, so we didn't get to Mansfield until 3:00 p.m. The Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home & Museum closes at 5:00 p.m. Yikes. Not really, two hours was enough time for everything. We got there just as they were starting another tour of the house, so I paid my $8.00 and joined the group. It's a lovely home, most of the home was done in Craftsman style - just my cup of tea. The chimney was made of 41 wagons full of rocks from the Wilder farm. Here you can see photos of the interior as well as Charles Ingalls' fiddle (bottom of page).



After the house I toured the museum. There are lots 'n' lots of artifacts to ogle. The highlight is Charles' fiddle, of course. I also really enjoyed seeing a couple outfits that Laura made and wore. I knew she was short (barely 5') but it's something else to see it in person.

I also visited the Book/Gift Store. (Who can resist?!) I managed to keep my spending there to less than $23.00. I haven't listened to it yet, but one item is a CD with a recording of Charles' fiddle playing the songs Laura mentions in her books. I'm really looking forward to listening to it.

After finishing up at the store, we drove around to the Rock House that Rose Wilder Lane had built for her parents. I was pretty exhausted by then (it has been very hot and humid this trip, especially here in Missouri) and didn't want to tour it. I was disappointed it was screened off by a bunch of trees, but didn't change my mind.

We then headed to the cemetery and I placed a couple stones on their headstone (one for me, one for Mum). That finished our day and we headed to Springfield.



But wait, there's more! It was totally unplanned but we saw Robert Heinlein's birthplace as we drove through Butler, MO on our way to Mansfield, MO. It was a great surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment