Monday, June 21, 2010

Day Four

Keystone, SD to De Smet, SD
371 Miles

I've got to remember the time changes when calculating time on the road. We got to De Smet at 10:00 p.m. It's been a very long, hot day.

Mt. Rushmore was, well, Mt. Rushmore. Quite impressive, beautiful, etc. The grounds are really well done. There was a theatre, several exhibit areas, two bookstores, a huge gift store and an outdoor amphitheatre. Mum wasn't up for walking so I parked the car in a position so she could see the mountain.



The Badlands were awesome. I had no idea that they covered such a large area. The Badlands National Park only covers about 10% of the area.




We stopped at Wall Drug for lunch. What a monument to consumerism. But it was kind of a crazy fun in spite of it.

We finally made it to De Smet and are tucked away in the Prairie House Manor Bed & Breakfast. It's in the old Banker Ruth home, he was mentioned in Little Town on the Prairie.

We have a little hiccup to attend to in the morning. I went to move Mum's car to park it in the street and it wouldn't start. It's dead as a doornail. We're hoping it's just a loose battery cable. If that's the only bad thing to happen this trip, I'll consider us very lucky.

3 comments:

  1. One of these days I'd like to make a road trip with Bri and Chase. At this point, I think they'd both enjoy it. On top of the fact, that they will both be able to drive by then.

    Have a great trip and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I hope you see why I do what I do.
    I just never get to be a touron.
    I usually need to just about double your daily average to make anything out here.
    Please, if you aren't running 5 over the speed limit, keep right, we like to get by as fast as we can, we have to get the load there fast, and intact.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb - sounds like fun with the kids. Just make sure at least one of you is a good navigator!

    James - I tend to go five to ten over the limit depending on the situation/weather (I don't speed at night). Also, I've never questioned what you do for a living. If it's something you like and it pays the bills - go for it!

    ReplyDelete